Many athletes know that in order to reach their peak performance, the most important macronutrient for maintenance of adequate energy stores is carbohydrates, with protein and fat being of secondary importance. Eating as soon as possible after exercise is the best way to replenish drained energy stores fast so that you can be at your best for your next workout, whether that be later the same day, or within 24 hours.
This week I tried out this recipe for Curried Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas. Not only was it DELICIOUS, but super fast and easy to prepare, which is a major priority for many athletes who are ready to eat anything in sight after a hard workout. The tortilla, beans, and sweet potato all provide carbohydrate, while the beans also serve as a good source of protein. I used Whole Wheat Ezekiel tortillas, which are a complete protein source due to the unique combination of sprouted grain, lentil, and soybean ingredients. Complete protein sources are especially important for vegetarian athletes who do not take in animal protein, which is more readily used by the body in comparison with plant sources.
- Ezekiel whole wheat tortillas
- Curry (add to your liking, I used several large dashes of the spice, but the flavor was still very mild when combined with the other ingredients)
- 1/2 can of black beans (rinse to decrease sodium if you prefer, although extra salt may aid hydration efforts post workout)
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, diced into small cubes
- Shredded cheese
- Avocado, for slicing and serving on the side
I precooked the sweet potato for about 3 minutes in the microwave to soften it before cutting. Combine ingredients, but do not over fill tortillas or they may get too heavy, cook on high heat until crisp and cheese has melted together with beans and potato. Enjoy!